Exhibited at Charlottenborg Palace
It is late fall and the snows have made an early appearance. A family is seen strolling along a snow-laden path off of the coast of Normandy. The sunlight coming from the left of the composition reflects the golden tones seemingly made especially for the French coast. The barren trees are scattered with a few surviving yellowed leaves, save one full tree in the center of the composition.
Three seasons of nature are evident in this piece by the snowy path of winter, the fall leaves, and the rich green colors of the summer-like grounds in the left foreground. The skies are still and calm, emulating a chill in the air. The snowy patches survive only from the shade provided by the hills.
Artist: Christian Peter Morch Zacho
- Born March 31st 1843 in Pederstrup, DK, son of Rasmus Zacho and Anne Marie Morch Monsted.
- Married Katrine (Ketty) Mathilde Marstrand June 15th 1884 in Frederiksberg, DK.
- Died March 19th 1913.
- 1858-62 - Studied at the Technical School of Art in Arhus under E. Hoegh, Guldberg, and G.F. Hetsch.
- 1862-67 - Attended The Royal Academy of Art in Copenhagen under Janus La Cour and P.C. Skovgaard, whose home he actually lived in for 4 years.
- 1871-72 - Studied under Vilhem Kyhn at the Hule Academy.
- 1874-76 - Studied at the Camille Bernier & Leon Bonnat Academie in Paris.
- 1872-73 - Italy, Vienna, and the World Exhibition in Paris
- 1874-76 - Paris
- 1878 - France and The Pyrenees Islands
- 1879, 80, 81, 91 - Cernay-la-ville and Concarneau, France
- 1883, 1910, 13 - Menton, France
- 1884 - Cap Caraibes, St. Martin
- 1890 - Switzerland and southern France
- 1902, 11 - Sweden
- 1904 - Norway
Awards & Acknowledgments:
- 1871 - Sodrings Prize
- 1878-79 - Royal Academy Medals
- 1884 - Exhibition Medal In Copenhagen
- 1889 - Honorable Mention Medal in Paris
- 1890 - Medal in Berlin
- 1895 - Medal in Chicago
- 1891 - Michael Ancher Medal
Positions & Appointments:
- 1897 - Titular Professor at The Royal Academy of Art
- 1897 - Member of The Royal Academy of Art Council
- 1900 - Director of the K.E. Exhibition
- 1902-05 - Member of the Charlottenborg Palace Exhibit Comittee
- 1865-78, 81-91, 93-1913 - Spring Exhibitions at Charlottenborg Palace
- 1878, 89, 1900 - World Exhibition in Paris
- 1881, 83, 85 - December Exhibit in Copenhagen
- 1882, 1942 - Artist Association Exhibit
- 1882 - International Art Exhibit in Vienna
- 1883, 88 - Nordic Art Exhibit in Copenhagen
- 1884, 90-91 - Berlin Exhibit
- 1892 - Kleis Exhibit in Copenhagen
- 1892, 1907 - Royal Art Academy in London
- 1893, 95 - The Glasgow School of Art Exhibit in Chicago
- 1895 - Lubeck Exhibition
- 1901 - Town Hall Exhibit in Copenhagen
- 1904, 07-09, 12 - K.E. Exhibit
- 1909 - Glaspalast Exhibit in Munich
- 1931 - Charlottenborg Palace Exhibit “what the forum left out…”
- 1950 - National Association of Art, “Jubilee Exhibit”
- 1978 - Sophienholm Castle Exhibit
- 1981 - “100 years ago” Exhibit at the National Museum of Art and History in Copenhagen