This coastguard scene is one of dynamic movement and expressive anxiety and urgency. Thick, dark, billowing clouds hover overtop the crashing waves on the shore where a horse-drawn coastguard rescue team guides a large boat along the glassy sand. A fisherman mid-right points out to sea in the direction of the distressed ship leading not only the official’s eye, but the viewer’s as well to the emergency. The dark belly of the storm is seen mid-left while the horizontal break in the clouds carries the eye to the juxtaposed blue skies on the right. Onlookers in the far back run down the beach to witness the rescue. The rescue crew is straining against the boat trying to guide it safely across the wet, dense sand, while the horses pulling the rescue boat are depicted alive, strong and anxious as their manes are blown by the strong wind that carries a mist off of the frothy shore. The waves of their rushing legs are juxtaposed to the rushing waves of the sea.
The clouds, rescue crew, and waves and beautifully and realistically reflected on the glassy surface of the wet sand.
Artist: Blache, Christian Vigilius (1838-1920)
- Born February 1st 1838 in Århus, DK, son of Hans Henrik Blache and Elise Marie Kold.
- Married Marie Christine Malling November 9th 1870 in Vistoft, DK.
- Died March 14th 1920 in Copenhagen, DK.
- 1857 - Ship Building School
- 1861 - The Royal Academy of Art in Copenhagen
- 1863 - Model School
- 1867 - Apprenticeship with C.F. Sorensen
Travels & Stays:
- 1872 - Holland, Belgium, Paris, Italy, Vienna, Dresden and Berlin
- 1878 - Paris
- 1887 - Faroe islands
Awards & Acknowledgments:
- 1865, 69 - Neuhausen’s Prize
- 1866, 67, 72 - Royal Academy Medals
- 1887, 88 - Year’s Medals “Eckersberg Medal”
- 1889 - Paris…”Honorable Mention” Medal
Positions & Appointments:
- 1888 - Member of The Royal Academy of Art
- 1890 - Council Member at The Royal Academy of Art
- 1898 - Titular Professor at The Royal Academy of Art
- 1892-1914 - Director of The Royal Academy of Art
- 1881-1914 - Member of the Exhibition Committee at Charlottenborg Palace
- 1907-1914 - Head of the Exhibition Committee at Charlottenborg Palace
- 1863-72, 74-1906, 1908-20 - Spring Exhibitions at Charlottenborg Palace
- 1882 - Artist Association Exhibition
- 1872, 83, 88 - Nordic Art Exhibitions in Copenhagen
- 1878, 89 - World Exhibitions in Paris
- 1893 - World Exhibit in Chicago
- 1882 - International Art Exhibit in Vienna
- 1895 - Nordic Art Exhibit in Lübeck
- 1901 - Town Hall Art Exhibit in Copenhagen
- 1980 - “Storm & Stillness” Exhibit at The Orlogs Museum/Valdemars Castle
- 1914 - Baltic Art Exhibit in Malmo
- 1907, 17, 26, 42 - National Artist Jubilee Exhibits (…in memory of)